About Me

My photo
My name is Ian. Sometimes I write things.

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Lent 1

Dust you were.  Dust you are.  To dust you will return.

Today is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of the 40-day season of Lent that leads up to Easter.  While dust is on everybody's (or at least everybody who goes to Ash Wednesday services) mind, I thought it would be a good time to dust off (see what I did there?) this blog and start posting again.

A couple of years ago, I took on the practice of posting a God-sighting once a day on this blog, and at the suggestion of one of my Covenant Discipleship group members, I'm going to take it on again this year.  For those who weren't following me on this journey two years ago (or for those who are not familiar with American University's United Methodist-Protestant Community, from which I have taken this term), a God-sighting is when you see God breaking through into our life and working in us and around us.  That said, God-sightings don't have to be large and grandiose events of biblical proportions; the point of God-sightings are to see the mundane, day-to-day moments as God-filled.

So with that in mind, here is my God-sighting for today.

I have a love-hate relationship with mornings.  On the one hand, I find the early morning to be still and peaceful.  There's nothing quite like stepping out into the cool morning air and watching the sunrise.  On the other hand, I love sleeping, and sometimes (ok, most of the time) that love for sleep causes me to just keep pressing the snooze button on my alarm.  You can see my dilemma.

But this morning was different.  This morning when my alarm went off, I got up and pressed the snooze button.  But as I was making my way back to my bed, I somehow had enough wherewithal to remember that I was planning on going to an Ash Wednesday service this morning.  As it turned out, if I had kept pressing the snooze button, I would have missed the necessary buses I needed to get on in order to make it to church on time.

So today, I saw God in a rare moment of clarity in the wee hours of the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment