About Me

My photo
My name is Ian. Sometimes I write things.

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Lent 5

Maybe I'm biased, but I think music is the most powerful force humanity has. Music can entertain. Music can inform. Music can heal. Music can empower. Music can change the world. 

I had a professor in undergrad who was fond of saying that music was the second most efficient language (only next to binary code), because by utilizing only twelve notes, one can express the entirety of human emotion.

It's been a really long day. I left my apartment at quarter to 8 this morning, and I didn't get back until 10 this evening. But through music, whether it be teaching my children's choir new music, singing a beautiful and powerful anthem in church, humming tunes stuck in my head, or listening to fantastic choirs perform everything from Bruckner to Hogan at Choral Arts Society's annual MLK Tribute concert, I was able to get through it all. 

Today, I saw God in music. 

No comments:

Post a Comment