About Me

My photo
My name is Ian. Sometimes I write things.

Friday, February 27, 2015

Lent 10

We didn't have cable in our house when I was a child.  I remember we had satellite tv for approximately three months one summer during my childhood, but other than that, my brother and I were stuck with 5 channels: CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS, and FOX.  This meant that while most of my friends were watching programs like Rugrats, Hey Arnold, Dexter's Lab, or the Powerpuff Girls, we were watching things like ZOOM, Arthur, Sesame Street and whatever else we could watch on PBS Kids.  One of the shows that I have come to realize had the biggest impact on me, however, was Mister Rogers' Neighborhood.

Mister Roger is one of the few people that I would bestow the title of "Saint" onto in a non-Protestant "oh we're all saints" manner of speaking.  His work has touched countless lives, and the more I learn about him, the more awe inspiring he is.  For example, take the time he testified before the Senate Subcommittee on Communications in 1969 response to threats to cut funding to public broadcasting from President Nixon:



Fred Rogers treated everyone he interacted with, especially the children with whom he worked, with respect and dignity.  Reports say that he treated you like you personally mattered to him.

Today marks twelve years since Mister Rogers died.  As a result, I spent some time viewing some of his old videos and reading some of his stories.  He was a giant of a man in a relatively small (143 pounds actually) body, and the world is without a doubt better because of his life.

I like you just the way you are too, Mister Rogers.

And to anyone who may be reading this, I like you just the way you are too.

Today, I saw God in the life and legacy of Fred Rogers.












No comments:

Post a Comment