About Me

My photo
My name is Ian. Sometimes I write things.

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Lent 31

I grew up in a big church, in terms of both congregational membership and physical size.  My home church, which has the most members in the entire conference, is a large gothic-style building.  The long aisle that cuts through the middle of the sanctuary is flanked on either side with large stone pillars and grandeur stained glass windows.  At the front of the sanctuary is an altar with a huge gold cross on it, and above that is an ornately decorated stained glass rose window.  On the temple/tabernacle spectrum, my home church falls on the extreme temple side.

I mention all of this because the church that I work at here in DC (not my campus ministry) is basically the same.  It's a large building which contains a large congregation (meaning: wealthy congregation).  

My balcony has a lovely view of the church I work at, and I can see it perfectly fine from the safety of my bed when my blinds are open.

However, my roommate doesn't like to sleep with the blinds open, so we don't.  But since he was home for spring break, I got to sleep with the blinds open, and the last thing I saw before I fell asleep each night was the steeple of the church I work at brightly illuminated by lights.  And I don't know, but that served as a warm sense of comfort, probably partly due to the awesome members that church has.  So today, I saw God before I fell asleep (at 3 in the morning, so it counts for today) in the lovely view of a church.

No comments:

Post a Comment