About Me

My photo
My name is Ian. Sometimes I write things.

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Lent 39

Anniversaries really bring out memories. A married couple on their anniversary remember the day they committed to spend the rest of their lives together. On a child's birthday, a parent will remember the joy they experienced on the day they brought life into this world. On the anniversary of a loved one's death, feelings of loneliness creep their ways in.

Today is an anniversary in my life story. For one year now, I've been suffering from a personal ordeal. One year ago today, I was a mess, a total wreck. I felt as if I would never heal.

And yet here I am. Granted, I still have some way to go in the journey, but I have come a long way. I guess that's a God sighting in itself.

But that's not what I'm going to blog about today. Like I said, anniversaries bring back memories, and I was really worried for today.

But today is Palm Sunday. For those not involved in a church, Palm Sunday is kind of a big deal. It's right up there on the list of best church services in the liturgical year.

Of course, that means that there are a lot of details that go into a service. Today alone, I had three different services, I had to direct a children's choir (which is akin to herding cats), sing a solo, and direct the campus ministry choir (and half of them missed the memo that they were coming an hour early).

I say all this, not because I'm worn out, but because everything provided a much needed distraction for today. I hardly thought about my problem at all today, and for that I'm extraordinarily thankful.

Today, I saw God in distractions.

No comments:

Post a Comment