About Me

My photo
My name is Ian. Sometimes I write things.

Monday, February 25, 2013

Lent 13

Damn it all.

And I knew what I was going to post today too. It just slipped my mind again.

Today my score for the Bach B Minor Mass arrived. This is the first full published score of a major work I've ever owned. To add extra charm to it, the score is used. As I flip through the pages, I can only imagine who else has flipped it. Who used this score to perform it. Who put their blood, sweat, and tears into studying it.

And then I think about who will use it after me. Will it be my kid? A student? Will I donate it to a library?

This is why I love music. Music is not static. It flows through history. It's evolved over centuries. It was here long before I was here, and it will continue to exist after I'm long gone. Every piece that's written has a story behind it. Every performance conveys emotions locked deep within the players souls.

Today, I saw God in music

No comments:

Post a Comment