About Me

My photo
My name is Ian. Sometimes I write things.

Saturday, March 7, 2015

Lent 18

For nearly the past 100 years, the USA has been observing the practice of Daylights Saving Time. A number of reasons have been cited as to why this practice is beneficial and necessary, the predominant reason being that somehow it helps conserve energy. 

Regardless why we practice it, I absolutely despise DST. I hate losing an hour of sleep. I hate that mornings suddenly stay darker longer. And I really don't care one way or the other about if evenings stay lighter. It's an arcane ritual and I think it should be done away with. 

Of course, given that I have absolutely zero influence over something to that magnitude, I just have to suffer through it like everyone else. 

Today is the last day of Standard Time in the US. And as fate would have it, I had a conference to work for my office job that forced me to wake up earlier than I would normally like to on a Saturday morning. And while waking up at 6am sucked, the fact that it was already light out made it suck a whole lot less. After the clocks move forward, getting up at 6, when it's pitch black out, is going to get much harder. So I guess I'm kind of glad that the conference was today and not next week, so that I could enjoy the benefits of a bright, early morning. 

Today, I saw God in a Standard Time sun rise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment