About Me

My photo
My name is Ian. Sometimes I write things.

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Lent 22

My spiritual formations class is really surprising me this semester. Last semester, it was by far my least favorite class. I didn't care at all for the spiritual disciplines we covered (I get no benefit from introspective practices like contemplative prayer or lectio devina, which is kind of ironic given the fact that I'm a fairly introverted individual). I didn't like having to schlep downtown every week for class. In fact, the only redeemable part of that class was the Covenant Discipleship group I had to be in. 

This semester, however, I'm finding myself enjoying the lectures more and more (maybe it's because we don't meet in person every week). We're more focused on the spirituality of service through service learning. And the guest speakers who have come in have all delivered eye opening and meaningful information. 

Today, we had two representatives from the National Coalition for the Homeless come in. Both of these men had experienced chronic homelessness in their lives. By the grace of God (which is how they described it), they were able to get back on their feet and now tell their stories to anyone who will listen. Their stories were completely humbling and heart-wrenching. Dana, one of the men, said that during his time as a homeless man, he went at least a year and a half without hearing anyone call him by his name. I can't even begin to imagine what that kind of treatment does to you. Listening to what these men had to say was an incredibly transformative experience for myself. It made me realize a) just how lucky I am (even though I don't have much), b) how easily I could find myself in their situation, and c) that the unhoused population is no worse than I am, nor am I better than they are. We are all made in the image of God, and every human being deserves to be treated as such. 

If you had told me last semester that I would walk out of a Spiritual Formations class completely moved and transformed, I would call you crazy. But after hearing Dana and John's respective stories, I can tell you that there is at least some value to be had from this class. 

Today, I saw God in Dana and John's witness and testimony. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment