About Me

My photo
My name is Ian. Sometimes I write things.

Friday, March 20, 2015

Lent 31

So the intent of these posts is to learn how to see God in the mundane, the ordinary, and the day-to-day aspects of my life.  After 30 days of actively searching out for how God is working in my life, I have to say that I'm a little bit tired of it.  Looking back each day and trying to discern how exactly I was hit by a divine spark is a lot of work.  Especially on days like today when nothing really of note happened.  I mean it's not like today was terrible or anything.  It was just kind of blah (it must have been something to do with the grey and cold weather).  Anyways, trying to find the light of God on such a blah day is tough.  On top of that, being forced (ok, I'm forcing myself, but still) to sit back and reflect when I have so many things coming up in the not too distant future that are competing for my attention is frustrating beyond belief.

But as I was really searching through my memories of the day for where God is working and getting annoyed that I couldn't be devoting my thought to other tasks, it hit me.  God isn't just working in the actual events of my day as they unfold, but God is also in the discernment and in my reflecting.  I know that sounds way meta, but hear me out.  Engaging with God is never easy.  Jacob wrestled all night with God before he got what he was looking for.  But the important thing to remember, for me at least, is that even though God's not always helpful or easy, God's always there with me and us.

Today I saw God in my search for God.

No comments:

Post a Comment